Befesa - Newsroom



A consortium in which Befesa participates is awarded the project contract for Skikda desalination plant, in Argelia

Madrid, 6th April 2004.- The Spanish consortium Geida, formed by Befesa, Codesa, Sacyr-Vallehermoso and ACS, has been awarded the contract, by the Algerian Energy Company (AEC), to construct and subsequently operate (B.O.T.) a seawater desalination plant in Skikda (Algeria), which will require an investment of some 100 million euro.

The project will be executed by their subsidiaries Befesa Construcción y Tecnología Ambiental, Codesa, Sadyt and Cobra.

In accordance with the awarded B.O.T. project, Geida will hold 70% of the share capital of Sociedad de Proyecto Específico (SPE) "Specific Project Company", and the remaining 30% will be held by the public enterprises Algerian Energy Company (AEC) and Aguas de Argelia (ADE), for the subsequent operation of the plant for an initial 25-year period. This operation will result in earnings for the group of 541.66 million euro.

The plant's desalting capacity will be 100,000 cubic meters of water per day and will supply a population of approximately 500,000. It must be commissioned by 2007, and therefore the contract specifies a 24-month construction period for the plant.

The Spanish consortium competed, for this project, against the Hispano-American group Barna-Lemna and the American-Canadian group Ionics-SNC Lavalin, and presented the most competitive tender as regards the cost per cubic meter of desalinated water, with a price of 0.7398 dollars per m3.

The technology to be employed in the project for the seawater desalination is reverse osmosis.

The construction of the plant is included in an ambitious seawater desalination plan, the aim of which is to desalinate one million cubic meters per day in order to alleviate the water scarcity in the North African country.

Moreover, the Spanish consortium Geida is pre-qualified to participate in another four desalination plant tenders in the country, which will be awarded in forthcoming months.

The minister for Energy and Mines, Mr. Chackib Khelil, and the Chairmen/General Managers (CGM) of Sonatrach, Sonalgaz and AEC, as well as many representatives from the sector attended the tender opening ceremony.

Befesa, Abengoa's listed Environmental Services subsidiary, closed 2003 with share capital in excess of 355 million euro. Sales were 356.5 million euro and profit was 8.4 million euro. Furthermore, it managed a total of 1,230,000 tons of industrial wastes in 2003.

Abengoa, a listed industrial and technology company with share capital in excess of 500 million euro (31.12.2003), provides solutions for Sustainable Development, the Information and Knowledge Society and the Creation of Infrastructures. It currently operates in four large activity sectors: Bioenergy, where it is the world's second largest bioethanol producer; Environmental Services, where it is European leader in certain segments of the industrial wastes market; Information Technologies, where it is one of the main international role players, with operations in Europe, America and Asia; and Industrial Engineering and Construction, where it is leader in Spain and Latin America. (